Tonight’s topic comes from Lisa in Nashville, Tennessee! Everyone who knows me is used to seeing me with a can (sometimes a keg) of Diet Coke in my hand. What is the appeal? Here, for all the people who have gazed wonderingly at my 52 ounce Extreme Big Gulp full of bubbly brown gold, are the top ten things I love about Diet Coke.
10. That first sip: refreshing, fizzy, with a bit of a zing to it. Ahhhh…
9. I love to see the look of horror on Paul’s face when I ask him to taste it because I think the waitress brought me regular Coke by mistake.
8. It keeps me awake while driving to the airport at 3 a.m.
7. Diet Coke is available all over the world, and is pronounced “Diet Coke” in every language. (By the by, we should consider establishing a universal word for “restroom”, because using the commonly understood signal–legs crossed, hopping up and down–is a little embarrassing.)
6. The Rule of Calorie Conservation and Exchange, which clearly states that drinking a Diet Coke with dinner offsets the triple hot fudge sundae you order for dessert.
5. The bubbles tickle my nose.
4. Goes equally well with foie gras, sushi, or Chicken Bacon Alfredo pizza.
3. You’ve gotta admit, that Mentos and Diet Coke thing is pretty cool.
2. It can dissolve acid corrosion off of a car battery. Really!
1. What else am I going to drink? Water?